Thursday, June 25, 2015

Child Eyes

When I was young I believed in fairy tales and magic,

I believed in happily ever afters,

wishes coming true and make believe.


When I was young I believed in infinite possibilities,

in making my goals come true with hard work,

the limitless future that I had in front of me.


When I was young I believed that my family would always stay together,

that blood meant something,

that family was forever.


When I was young I saw the world through rosy colored glasses,

blurred lines of what will be and what can be,

images of a better future filled with magic and wonder.


When I was young I saw no color,

no differences,

no reason to be scared.


When I was young I saw more than I see now,

and infinitely less.


My eyes are the same,

yet what they see has changed as I have grown,

stereotypes, stigmas, and everything in between color my eyes black,

fogged over by the what ifs and how comes.


When I was a child I believed in more,

now I am an adult and I know there is less.

No comments:

Post a Comment